Friday, March 4, 2011

Musical Chairs Champion

Today my technical group broke into groups and ventured out into a local city about 45 minutes away. We had tasks- buy a phone card, visit a central mercardo, ask questions about a historical site (mine was a beautiful basilica that the Virgin Mary appeared at), and eat lunch for under 2000 colones. It was great to get out of the training center and walk around Costa Rica.  My Spanish is in dire need of improvement, but hey- I figure after a weekend of pantomiming I should be full of laughter!

I found out information about my host community and my host family today!!! I will be living in a training community with 5 other volunteers. It is in the hills, a semi-rural community. I will be living with a Mom, Dad and a sister who looks around 8ish. I got to see a picture of them! I am very excited and very nervous. We leave tomorrow and I move into my training community for the next 10 weeks.

Today was a wonderful day for laughter. Jokes about my Spanish ability and misunderstandings with host families made my stomach hurt this afternoon. Then this evening we had a BBQ with wonderful food and a talent show with two hilarious skits poking fun at our journey so far. Then we Latin danced the night away! It so much fun. In the middle of the evening there was a game of musical chairs instigated, where 22 volunteers all danced around the chairs. After many an elimination I nudged everyone out with my....lets just say tenacity :-)

Overall an amazing day. I am sad to leave the other volunteers but I'm excited for living in my community and beginning training. Quick brief on training- MWF Spanish, T Technical Skills, TH CORE PC training. Three weekend trips, one alone to visit a PCV, another with my technical group to work in a community for a week, and finally alone to visit my site! Also Holy Week happens during my stay with my training host family and I'm excited for that.

A few updates from PC. Receiving packages here will be extremely difficult. I will have to pay $100-$300 in custom fees go receive your packages. Feel free to send letters and padded envelopes, but boxes are a no go. Also tonight is my last night of stable wi-fi so I don't know when I will be able to update next. But I love emails and comments!

I have also posted a few photos-hope you enjoy.

Sending amor,






Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment