Sunday, March 13, 2011

And the Journey Begins…

And the Journey Begins…
Today I moved in with my host family. It was difficult to leave the constant support of all of the other volunteers, because we became so close so quickly. But less than a week ago they were all strangers, so there is much hope for the future.
My family consists of a Mama, Papa, a hermana who is seven years old and a perrito. The three next-door neighbors are my Mama’s sisters. All of the four familias – (wifes, husbands and kids) came over for cafecito this afternoon. It was wonderful having a house full of people and everyone was extremely kind. I spent some time at the adult table, not understanding Spanish and some time playing games with the kids. I cannot stress enough how kind and caring the entire family has been. I am so grateful. Spanish is challenging, I am able to speak very little and understand less than I thought. But everyone has been extremely patient. I have a house full of wonderful teachers!
The house is very comfortable and the community is in the mountains. It is absolutely gorgeous! There are spectacular views everywhere you turn. Although for every view there is a hill, so walking around the community is going to be a great workout! I have my own room and closet to hang up my clothes (which is endlessly exciting!). My Mama makes really good food. Today we had rice, black beans and stewed chicken. The coffee is spectacular. There are coffee plants growing adjacent to my family’s home.  And they had salt for the tomatoes on the salad. I haven’t seen salt in Costa Rica until today, and I was so grateful for that little taste of home.
It is 830 and I am exhausted. I am going to sleep now and I will hopefully wake up and go for a run around the community tomorrow morning. If not I have been told that tomorrow is the day of shopping! Which is wonderful ;-)
Sending loves,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment