Sunday, March 20, 2011

I couldn’t be happier…

I am reading The Impossible Will Take a Little While, an amazing book, which I highly recommend. It is a collection of essays of hope from well-known authors, political figures, etc. There was a quote that I read the other day that I want to share: “The great events of this world are not battles and elections and earthquakes and thunderbolts. The great events are babies, for each child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged with humanity, but is still expecting goodwill to become incarnate in each human life. And so God produced a Gandhi and a Mandela and a Harriet Tubman, an Eleanor Roosevelt and a Martin Luther King, Jr., and each of us to guide the Earth toward peace rather than conflict.” How poignant.
This weekend there is a fair type event happening 150 ft across the street from my house in a field. There are bull runs, motorcycle races, singing/dancing groups, DJs, concerts, fair rides and food. It is quite an event and is drawing a crowd from far and wide. I went with my family last night to see a dancing group and today there is a concert. Its quiet an event here is small town Costa Rica. I am definitely enjoying myself.
My Tico family and PC friends have thus far proved to be an extremely supportive group. I am enjoying making new friends and learning about Tican culture from my family. Language is slow and challenging, but we laugh a lot! I don’t always know why we are laughing, and I am probably the butt of quite of a few jokes, but at least there is laughter! I can’t wait for the day when I am able to think of and correctly say a comeback in Spanish J
As far as missing the states, so far I am doing surprisingly well. I am part of a wonderfully supportive community and there has been lots to do here in Costa Rica. Plus everyday I wake up amazed at the beauty that I am literally surrounded by. If I had to say I miss one things (sorry friends and family, but for now your not at the top of my list) it would be driving in cars with the music turned up loud and the windows rolled down. That is such a spectacular feeling! In Costa Rica not only do I not know the words to the songs, but I travel mostly on cramped buses with spotty radios.
Adjusting to food has been simple, rice, beans and meat. The carbo load was a little challenging on my system at first, but I have been taking advantage of the fresh tropical fruit as often as possible. And have I mentioned that the weather here is warm and sunny everyday! I am in love with the sunshine J Back to the food, the panaderias have amazing fresh made bread (sweet and savory) which I treat myself to every once and a while. The supermarket here is pretty extensive, but my family takes such good care of me that I think the only thing I have bought there is gum!
That’s all for now. Hope everyone back home is well. I miss hearing about your lives, and hope you know that even though I am far away I am thinking of you
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment