Wednesday, March 2, 2011

And then there was sunshine...

After 8 hours of sleep I felt much better today! I was woken up at 5:15am by the birds chirping in the trees outside my room. For such an ungodly hour it was surprisingly pleasant. Going to bed early helped too. I was able to take a warm shower this morning (such a blessing!) because during the night I was pretty cold. I was sleeping under a blanket from the retreat center, and tonight I will definitely be doubling up on blankets!

The day consisted of lots of speakers. It is interesting learning about Peace Corps and what I am going to be doing. But the more I learn the more questions I am left with. The most common phrase today must have been 'we will cover that later.' I am feeling more confident about living with a host family, not any particular  reason why- I just think the stability of living in the same place for 3 months has become a comforting idea. Some of the speakers were a little overwhelming, but most were sensitive and didn't try to scare to early out of the gate.

My favorite part of the day were personal presentations. All of the staff give a 10 minute presentation before they speak and this evening 5 trainees also gave personal presentations. It was great to learn more about everyone and the environment was very accepting. We laughed a lot also, which felt really good!

Today is the first day I didn't Skype home. Instead I did yoga with another volunteer. I am feeling more comfortable in Costa Rica and less scared and sad. Mom- I did not cry once today, you would be proud!

Positive thought for today: I got to lounge in the warm gorgeous sun for 30 minutes during my lunch hour and it felt like my body was literally absorbing happiness ;-)

Sending love to all,

Chelsea

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chelsea,
    Soak up some of that sunshine for me! Glad to hear that things are going well. Remember...just take it one day at a time. :)
    Thinking of you,
    JoLynn

    ReplyDelete