Sunday, March 20, 2011

Approaching about a 30% understanding

This past week passed by in a flash. Two days this week I went into city for training, which means I woke up at 5am to take the 90 minute bus ride into the city and didn’t return until around 8pm. And in Costa Rica bedtime usually happens around 8/9pm. I was pretty exhausted after repeating that for two days. But it was heartening to have Spanish again on Friday. I am really enjoying Spanish class, even though my speaking improvement is slow, I feel like I am learning a lot. (Plus Spanish class doesn’t start until 845am!)
This week my Tica mom invited all of my friends over for cafecito and we had 12 people over Monday afternoon for empanadas, cookies, and cafe. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed introducing my family to my friends and visa versa. Tuesday was tech training in a neighboring community. We are preparing to teach a three session Environmental Education class in our local elementary school, and so we got some information on that. After class a group of us played Frisbee in the plaza (soccer field) across the street and I had a really good time. Friday afternoon our group (7 in my community and a couple others from neighboring communities) went over for cafecito at another volunteer’s house. It ended up being a huge misunderstanding because the volunteer’s dad intended to invite us over for dinner and we all showed up at 4pm expecting cafecito. But after a good laugh everyone adjusted expectations and we had a really nice early dinner.
Nothing much else new. I feel a little like I am just reproducing a copy of my schedule for the week. Life already feels stable and predictable. But that is good, it means that I am comfortable here.
Sending love,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment