Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I’m off to see the wizard…


No idea why, but that is the song I have stuck in my head as I am about to leave for a weekend trip to visit another volunteer. She has been in country for a year and lives 9 hours from where I live. I will be taking 3 busses, and 2 taxis. I am hopeful that people will understand my Spanish and that I will not get lost. But there are still some butterflies merrily making their way about in my stomach. This is the first time I will be traveling alone in Costa Rica and it is a pretty long trip. Buena suerte a mi!
This week was another whirlwind. Here are some highlights:
-With my Spanish companeros, I taught a class to twenty 6th grade students about protecting the environment. It was the first of a series of classes and went surprisingly well.
-Other highlights of the week include learning a new way to say ‘I don’t understand you’
-On Monday I made tortillas from scratch on a wood-burning stove and they were delicious!
-I also tried 8 new types of fruit (cas, marinon, lemon dulce, guava, mango verde, granadilla, manzanas aguas and cailemote) and like all but one of them that smells like feet.
-I ironed my own clothes and my Mama Tica (who hates ironing) was very appreciative.
-Tuesday we had another money in the middle game of Frisbee, which was wonderful, and I took a short cut back to my town that cut through the coffee fields. We walked home during sunset and the views were absolutely breathtaking.
- I can walk up the hill to get to town with only moderate out of breathedness now, which I consider a huge accomplishment.
-I ate pizza, my first American food since arrival, with my companeros after class one day. The pizza was surprisingly delicious J
That’s all for now. I got my first piece of mail this week, a letter from my Momma, which was wonderful to receive. I probably won’t post this until after I return from my weekend adventure, but either way – Wish me luck (and comprehensible Spanish)!
Loves,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment