Saturday, September 10, 2011

Suddenly I’m in over my head…


Ok, well maybe not so suddenly. But I am definitely in over my head.
I am working on finding my place again. Where do I belong during meetings? What are appropriate places to voice my opinions and plans? How do I interact with different members of the community, and in which ways do I show them respect? Who is Chelsea the Peace Corps Volunteer in rural Costa Rica? And how does she resemble Chelsea the Seattlite of my former life?
My experience to date has definitely brought into question much of what is my self-identity. I am constantly defining (for myself and my community) what it means to be an American, a foreign female, a Peace Corps Volunteer and last but not least a Chelsea.  What are the important parts of me that I want to keep, which parts were more societal then personal, what are my fundamental driving values (and why), how should I spend my time when I am in complete control of it, what are my outlets when I am stressed or when I want to have fun and how can I undergo this process while I am still living my daily life?
Things I have learned so far.
1.     Transition (still) makes me uneasy, but an awareness of that helps (it doesn’t lessen the anxiety, but it allows me to settle into the uneasiness)
2.     One on one friendships are very important to me- I need them to feel supported
3.     I (almost) always find clarity in problems when I write them down
4.     Positivity is invaluable as a personal perspective and as something I can offer to others
5.     I enjoy time spent (physically) traveling (ex: buses, walking, etc)– it is some of my most productive thinking time
6.     I value direct honest communication
7.     Physical activity makes me feel more alive
8.     I value teamwork and enjoy leading
9.     I need outlets for my creativity
10.  Reading good books is an integral part of my life
11.  I am a very visual learner and need lists to stay organized – organization is important to me
12.  I don’t know where I am going
13. It is important to me to remember where I have been, what I have accomplished, and the people who have been a part of my journey
That’s all I’ve got in this moment. Vamos a ver how this experience continues to affect/shape/mold/imprint itself upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment