Saturday, June 11, 2011

The flies are too fast, I cannot kill them with my bare hands and it’s a shame. Because if I could, I would.


The week in a recap:
It is still hot here. Maybe hotter than before. I am still sweating. It may never stop. June is supposed to be winter and the rain is supposed to be pretty consistent and strong. But this entire week there has been no rain. Only heat. I have a thermometer in my multifunctional Eddie Bauer alarm clock (thanks Mom) and I finally learned how to switch the temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit. This week is has been 88 degrees in the middle of the night and 97 in the middle of the day. And that’s the temperature in my room, Lord only knows how hot it is out in the sun.
My puppy is alive and I have informed everyone that his name is Sugar. They all think this is strange, but generally I am considered the strange gringa, so that’s no change there. I bought him a collar, leash and flea killing soap. He hates baths, but fleas have got to suck, so I’m sure it’s worth it. He still doesn’t walk around or really DO anything. But he is cute, really cute. And when he does walk around he is so fat that his belly drags on the floor. That’s what happen when a really old dog has only one puppy and he doesn’t have to share his momma’s milk with anyone J
Woke up on Wednesday to holes being made in my bedroom walls. My counterpart told me he was trying to make it more difficult for the rain to enter the house. At first I was very confused about why he there needed to be more holes in my walls, so I sat on my bed and said every few minutes out the window “No more holes.” Luckily there were no more holes and now there is some corrugated metal siding on a part of the house that used to be open. Which means a few things. The house is kind of like an oven now, in that the meal exterior heats up and the people inside cook. There is also less natural light from the exterior, which is sad. The benefit is that when it rains the inside of the house will stay dry, and I guess that is why we have walls. Also the animals now have a harder time trying to get from outside to inside.
I taught my first class in the school. Half English and half environment. Am going to be doing this every Friday. Went really well. Definitely challenging teaching a class to students ranging in ages from 6-13, but at least when it comes to English and the environment all the students seem to have the same level of knowledge. None. I’m excited to make a stronger partnership with the school. Adult and high school English classes begin next week. Wish me luck! I think I am getting myself in way over my head with them. But a little bit of busy can’t hurt.
I rearranged the furniture (my bed) in my room and now there is space for a yoga mat in my room. I also swept and spent the morning scrubbing my floor to find the concrete under the dirt. Found it! And now I have enough space in my room to twirl around with my arms out. Very exciting. Also discovered a oscillation function on my fan which works great for the new room set up.
Humor is very cultural. And my humor is very sarcastic, which does not translate well to other cultures. Here laughter is very openly used, especially in tense, awkward or uncomfortable situations. The problem with this is that I don’t like being laughed at in uncomfortable situations. So for a while my response was the phrase “its not funny.” Little did I know. Now “its not funny” has become a Chelsea saying and is used freely by extended family members. The irony – not sure if it is really ironic or not – is that we all now laugh about the saying ‘its not funny.’ Oh cultural adjustment.
Went to Guatuso on Thursday. Biiftu is amazing and we have a spectacular time together. Maybe best day yet. Also I took the bus both ways and made friends with the bus driver, a good friend to have when you have to walk an hour to the bus stop. While in the big city (that has only 1,500 people) I bought ice cube trays! I remember in my parents house when we upgraded to an ice machine in the fridge. It was wonderful. Then I went to college and thought that I had downgraded substantially when I had to use ice cube trays. Now I am so grateful to have ice cube trays. Its all a matter of perspective.
All for now. Loves to all. Pray for rain- I may be melting. And I don’t know how to saying melting in Spanish, so no one will know what is happening.
Chelsea

1 comment: