Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 1 (take 2)

Today I begin a whole new chapter of my Peace Corps Service. Yesterday I loaded my (not nearly as meager as expected) belongings into the back of my boss's car and unloaded them in what (in the coming weeks) will become my new home. After just over a year in my original site I am transferring to a new site. Big change huh? Although I will always reflect positively on my time in Gallo Pinto, about a month ago I came to the (difficult, but necessary) realization that my work as a Peace Corps Volunteer had come to an end in the community. Gallo Pinto is a community with a long list of development needs. Unfortunately my work in the community was limited by the small unmotivated population and the minimal transportation resources. Reflecting back I do know that I made an impact in the organization of the local groups and the youth in the community. I leave the community a few friends richer, and with quite a bit more knowledge about the workings of rural Costa Rica.

My new town is a hop skip and a jump from where I was. I will be living with a family again (for the first few months) and I get to start from square one- getting to know the local groups, the friendly faces and in what I will be working. I am pleased with what I know so far about my new community. The town is a little bit larger than Gallo Pinto, although it is still rural. The town is more spread out, although it has a great center. My new family consists of a Host Mother, Host Father, a teenager sister in high school and a 22 year old sister who attends a University in a larger nearby city. The house sits beautifully next to a river and the family has been extremely welcoming.

Hopefully with this fresh start I will update my blog a little more regularly. Sending love and blessings back home

Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment