Tuesday, November 1, 2011

And the critter adventure contines...

This is the second time I am typing this post. The first one got lost because of the internet connection. I guarantee the first one was better. Sorry bout that.

Termites have infested and begun eating my library. Yep. You read that right the first time. But if you want you can go back and read it again. Infested. Ate. Books. Its a bad situation, let me tell you.

First of all, termites ate my beautifully weathered and worn pages and transformed what could have been hours of pleasant pass times into poop. They dug and tunneled and ate through the entertaining text and left behind an enormous amount of feces. So not only did I have to clean up thousands of dead termite bodies (they became dead after I sprayed them with ant killer, then doused them in bleach, and the eviscerated then with cockroach killer) but I had to scrub that wood to remove the ungodly amount of excrement that they left behind. Thanks termites, you made me day.

What was the damage. Well three books are dead. A Thousand Splendid Suns (from the Peace Corps library), 501 Spanish Verbs (borrowed from Peace Corps language staff) and Trauma Stewardship (brought from home). And every time I itch now I think that termites are crawling on my skin. They aren't, but knowing that doesn't help.

What does one do with a thousand dead termites, an overwhelming amount of poo and a standing pool of mixed chemicals. Well after I finished my freak out disgusting gross yucky dance, I gathered up my gumption, marched my butt down to the pulpe, bought paper towels (because although I know that now I will have to burn more garbage, I just couldn't bring myself to clean the mess up with a rag, that I would then have to hand wash in the sink that I was my dishes in) and spent an hour scrubbing the wood walls, the wooden shelf and the floor to erase any trace of termite.

So what can you do about this? Well if you have any advice on getting rid of termites, feel free to send it my way. Also, if you have any ideas of where I can put my books, please let me know, because my house is wood, all the shelves are wood and apparently books are like termite bait (I think we can assume at this point that the house is termite infested). Finally if you have an extra atta girl sitting around the house, it would be appreciated.

And now here is photographic evidence. Enjoy.

PS. My bed is also made of wood, it is no infested currently, but still...

No comments:

Post a Comment