Wednesday, November 23, 2011

She took the leap and built her wings on the way down

Wednesday 4pm. I spent the morning re-reading the bylaws of the local government. I am showered and in tow is my notebook filled with my presentation for the local government meeting. I haven't been to a meeting in months. There hasn't been a scheduled meeting in months. No one has shown up in months. But I am hopeful. Waiting. Waiting. A little less hopeful. Waiting. Leaving. Frustrated, angry, sad, apathetic. I head home, eat an early dinner and head to bed early. Write the day off, another failure, and try to focus on the potential of tomorrow.

Thursday am. Wake up and start in on my morning routine. Take down my net, feed Cricket, open the back door, open the curtains, make coffee, take a quick shower, check my email, and sweep the floor. A few hours later I discover a large rash (what I now know is hives) on my legs. Bummer. Cancel my meetings this afternoon.

Thursday pm. A church committee member has stopped by my house to drop of leaves that make a tea that will make me feel better. My neighbors have visited and offered me dinner and a few coconuts which should help. I get three text messages from concerned community members, to ask how I am feeling.

I am baffled. No one shows up for an hour long meeting, but six people will take unscheduled time out of their day to check on me or bring me something when I am sick. I am a community member, they obviously LIKE me, but they won't show up to a meeting to improve their own town. Baffling.

Long story short: I had hives that couldn't take a hint. Three days later I was still waking up with hives. So I got an all expense paid trip to the hospital and a month worth of medications. I am better, and silver lining- I got to spend a few days in the city to decompress, escape the magnifying glass (that is small town living) and to run a few errands.

Now for something completely different: Happy Thanksgiving to all my Americans. Enjoy your turkey, can-shaped cranberry sauce, indoor heating (and cold weather), fallen leaves (and changing seasons), sweaters, scarves, ovens (and baked goods in general), family, friends, four day weekends and the official beginning of the Christmas season. Know that I will be counting you and your support among the things that I am grateful for in this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment