Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Settling in...

Its been a while since I have posted. The days have started passing quickly. Sometimes they are pretty full, but it seems as though even the empty days have picked up some speed. And I caught myself telling a friend that I feel settled here- I was surprised by my own words.
 I will start at the beginning and then go from there.
Weekend of July 4th- Spent the weekend with my host family from training and it was wonderfully comfortable. I have given my training community the name ‘The Land of Love and Happiness.’ (Like Winnie the Pooh’s The Land of Milk and Honey) My host family was very happy to see me and I felt at home for the entire weekend. I also visited the houses of my tias and of some other volunteers old host families and was warmly received everywhere. Even the 2 taxi drivers stopped when they drove by to say ‘hi’ and ask how long I was staying for. It was lovely – and did I mention I was cold! Which is such a miraculous feeling and I had almost completely forgotten the sensation, all I have to say is it was glorious, riquisimo.
Weekdays following July 4th – Spent two nights in San Jose with fellow volunteers. We ate food that made us ill in quantities that were unhealthy. We played cards and shared stories and watched movies. More than anything we passed the entire time with people who understand the journey that we are going through. That in and of itself was reassuring. We also got to pretend that for two days we had vidas personales, which I am sorry to report we do not. That’s part of the deal when you sign up for a ‘job’ that includes the hours 24/7. Also attended a celebration in a ritzy part of town that had fireworks to celebrate the fourth for all the expats and it was a strange sentiment, feeling proud of my country in the midst of fellow volunteers who have given two years of our lives to serve others.
Attempted to travel home – Failed. Left San Jose at 7:30am. Arrived at bus station at 2:15pm. The bus leaves at 4:30pm. I know this because there is one bus that leaves my site every weekday and one that returns. It leaves at 5:30am and returns at 4:30pm. I have memorized this schedule and am certain beyond a doubt that when I arrive at the bus station that the bus will leave at 4:30pm. My friend the taxi driver greets me upon arrival at the bus station and the following scene ensues:
Taxi Driver: “Your bus just left, what are you doing?”
Me: “My bus left? No. My bus leaves at 4:30pm. Estoy segura.”
Taxi Driver: “No, your bus left at 2:00pm”
(keep in mind that I am learning Spanish and the different between leaves and left can be tricky)
Me: “LEFT? The bus LEFT at 2:00pm? No es posible, why would the bus leave at 2:00pm?”
Taxi Driver: “I don’t know, but the bus left at 2:00pm”
Me: **laugther**
So turns out that the bus left at 2:00pm. I called the bus driver and he confirmed that the bus schedule changes for the two weeks of school break. Who knew? Not I. So I slept at a fellow volunteers house and took the next bus that left the next day at 2:00pm. (That’s right, miss a bus in Costa Rica, wait 24 hours for the next bus) I arrived at the bus station the next day at 1:15pm just in case. *Sidenote: The bus left that next day at 2pm, but then spent 2 hours sitting outside the mechanic 4 blocks down the road getting all the tires changed. *
This past weekend – A fellow volunteer visited my site and stayed with me for the weekend. It was wonderful! I felt really proud of my site as I was showing it to her, and I was able to see through her eyes all of the progress that I have made through my hard work. Very productive and positive.
Life in site – The mosquitoes are voracious (I relish the big words I know in English because I don’t know any in Spanish) and my stomach looks like I have chicken pox, because I usually don’t put repellent on my stomach and they are eating through my clothes. I counted earlier today I have 32 red dots on my stomach. Very sickly looking. Started putting repellent on my stomach today, guess I learned that lesson the hard way.
Got caught in a lightning and thunder tormenta today walking back from the bus stop. Was drenched, but infinitely more content walking home soaked in rainwater than sweat, no complaints here. Although was thoroughly chastised by Costa Ricans for walking outside in the storm, I pointed out I had no other options, they pointed out how dangerous walking with a metal stick (umbrella) is in a lightning storm. Tou che (I acknowledge that this is spelled incorrectly).
Continuing to enjoy playing futbol with the kids and my English classes are going well. I like having the time set aside every week to interact more personally with community members. Besides that, I am continuing to work on my diagnostic and adjusting to new challenges Costa Rica throws my way.
Do you know how to clean your house in Costa Rica? I do. You use a hose. Its infinitely more fun that vacuuming. My aunt, cousin and I cleaned the house on Friday and here is the secret. You build your house with the lowest wood slat a few inches off the ground. This is not so that the toads can enter. (Speaking of, I chased my first toad out of the house yesterday!) This is not so that the rats can enter. (Speaking of, when I got back from San Jose there is a new kitty that lives in my house. Looks like a baby Izzy and I gave him the name Salt. He is supposed to eat the rats, but the dogs keep trying to eat him. Riddle me this, why don’t the dogs eat the rats?) You build the house this way so that when you are cleaning the mud has somewhere to escape too. You see, you spray the floor, put down soap, scrub with broom, and then squirt dirty water out of the house under the lowest wood slat. Genius. Just goes to show, there really is a rhyme and a reason.
Sugar is alive and growing rapidisimo. He continues to provide me heaps of entertainment and joy. He still pees in the house, not so great. But he also follows me outside of the house, very pleasing. He also now sleeps on top of my shoes, which live under my hanging clothes. There are only a few inches between the bottom of my dresses and my shoes, and that is his new favorite spot to hang out. Super cute.
Did you know that things grow mold in tropical heat? What sort of things you ask? Well sandals, leather jewelry straps and wood rings so far. Pretty interesting huh? I will let you know when I figure out how to effectively combat said mold.
Thanks to those who have sent mail, I have started a mail wall, where I cut out/choose pieces of mail that are sent to me and tape them to the walls. I have pictures taped to two walls already and now I have various items taped to a third wall. Please continue sending mail, it makes me happy.
Birthday SHOUT outs!
Jenna Bo Benna, Happy 26th Birthday. Sorry I wasn’t there. But I’m sure it was wonderful because you are wonderful.
Grandma Hewitt its your birthday today (while I am typing this) hope you are having a beautiful day, love you and miss you a lot!
And reminder that my Birthday will be happening in T-minus 13 days for those wanting to send letters and emails
J
Loves and Smiles,
Chelsea

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Love reading the latest in your Costa Rican adventures. So glad you had a good week with your family and friends in San Jose - nice to have some R&R time with familiar faces. Take care of you - love ya bunches - Mom

    ReplyDelete