Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Animals in my Life


Tonight I have so many zancudo bites on my body that I am quite certain (that if possible) I am in grave danger of dying of itching. It feels as though every cell in my body is screaming “SCRATCH ME!” and the cruelest part of the story, is that I put on DEET bug repellent (which I am sure is irreversibly harming my insides) before I left the house. And that I used up my entire (tiny ass) tube of hydrocortisone 20 minutes ago. All I have left are these stupid little individual packs of cream which are so hard to open that I get frustrated, give up and just scratch my stupid bites.

And now for a brief aside: Just now, as I sat peacefully on my bed typing this and cursing my hands for their uncontrollable scratching, a large hairy spider crawled dangerously close to me on my bed. Startled alert I hopped, only to witness the spider jumping too. Well shit, the cockroaches fly and the spiders can jump, this just ain’t fair. Especially since he is ON MY BED! My net can’t protect me from things inside; it only further serves to trap them with mas proximity to my ever vulnerable skin. Don’t worry about me though. Because I am alive now, typing this blog post, and that poor spider met his match when he encountered the bottom on my muddy flip-flop. And if you remember correctly said spider was on my bed, which means there is now muddy flip flop on my bed. Bummer, but mud doesn’t bite, and mud doesn’t itch, and mud doesn’t scar. So tonight I can honestly say: I’m glad to sleep with a little mud on my sheets.

Ajla: Perhaps the saying shouldn’t be “Don’t let the bed bugs bite” but instead “Kill all the bugs in your bed, before you go to sleep.” Just saying, if we are being practical and such.

Back to the theme previously established, the damn mosquitoes. Really not much else to say, expect that they are supremely bothersome and I loathe them with every cell of my itching being.

For a more lighthearted topic I will share with you the comings and goings of my furried (pretty sure furry is the correct term, but I like furried) friends Salt and Sugar. I have definitely learned a few things about cats in Costa Rica. First- they are much cleaner than dogs, they are more productive at chasing chickens and eating bugs but they are much more disliked by the Ticos. Keeping this in mind, you will understand how odd it is that I hold, pet and allow Salt in my room. But, to their dismay I love these two baby animals. And they probably understand me better than most Ticos, because they react the same where I speak English or Spanish.

They are both only children and have combined in their lack of siblingness to form a bond that is slightly unnatural but nevertheless endearing. They wrestle, share food and generally cohort juntos. Today after their baths Sugar was trying to lick Salt clean. Pretty darn cute. And Sugar follows me everywhere (unfortunately Salt doesn’t leave the house, probably for the best, because I think he would get eaten), which I love and the locals are getting used to. Last week when I visited houses Sugar attempted to enter each house conmigo. This is highly unacceptable as Costa Rican dogs live outside, are dirty and used mostly as security alarm systems. But in my charming gringa fashion (with the assistance of the neighborhood kids who adore Sugar) I think that I am helping ease everyone into accepting Sugar’s presence, indoors and out. Plus I bathe him, so he doesn’t smell or have fleas.

Another aside: There are June bugs dropping from Lord knows where (an invisible whole in my ceiling) onto my computer and scaring me half to death. They are large, rather stocky bugs with hard shells that make a very loud, sometimes shocking, KLAT when falling. Come on Costa Rica, enough bugs for one night already. I’ve got two years here, save your scare tactics for another day.

The next two weeks are pretty travel filled, so the posts will be sparse for un ratito. Perdonme. And wish me luck as I maneuver a few new bus routes. Here’s hoping.

Muchisimas Gracias to those who have sent mail, photos, and chocolate. You make me smile more than you know! Y Mamma y Pops hope you had fun on your trip.

Loves of the enduring kind,
Chelsea

PS. Two (newly discovered) downsides of hot, wet weather. Gum melts and envelopes seal themselves.

4 comments:

  1. O.K
    I am going to try again. Great blog. Made me laugh, although it might be said it was at your expense. No giant spiders here. McKenna was freaked out because there were ants in the downstairs bathroom. Guess she has some work to do to become she becomes the stud that you are.

    Work is still dead. Am going to apply for a job at the U of I Law School as a business Law Professor. I hate to be a pessimist but there is little chance that it will pan out.

    The weather cooled off a little today, but I am not going to complain about heat to you.

    Have fun on your upcoming future adventures. I love you very much and miss you a ton. Love. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a second thought, Can I send you some Rx anti itch stuff. Do you think it would get through customs or would it be a waste of time and money. I am sure my dermatologist would re-up my Rx. Let me know. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea! That was hysterical. I am sorry to also say that I was laughing at your expense. :) I hope since you wrote this things have cleared up in the way of bugs.

    Thinking of you,
    JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news, although bugs provide endless entertainment for me and you, they do not bother or scare me. So we are laughing together. :-)

    ReplyDelete