Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Time slows down and speeds up.

Animal Debrief: Last night on the way to the bathroom there was a very large toad blocking the entrance to the bathroom. And this morning I killed a spider on the outside of my mosquito net. Which means that my mosquito net is effective at keeping out spiders! I also saw a rat/mouse running up the wires out a hole in the ceiling while watching news today. The good news is that right after I saw the rat/mouse I saw a preview on TV for Grays Anatomy in Spanish. Taking the good with the bad. And the two large dogs that live at my house accompanied me on the my this morning. It was quite a site. It is strange for me to see the chickens and the dogs coexist peacefully, but my host mom said that the big dog eats kittens and puppies. Sad!

Rundown on the comings and goings of my first site visist:
-I am meeting new people. My host mother has another son, whose wife and three children came over today. The two girls are teenagers and attend the high school a couple towns over. They are really sweet! One has already promised to give me dance lessons :-)
-I also met two young women who are part of the local government. One of them spent a day walking me throughout my community and an adjacent community. She is super super sweet, she is 17 and had her wedding the day that I arrived in town. We knocked on everyone´s door and spent 5-10 minutes introducing me, my purpose and answering any questions. We went to 12 houses and the school in my community. Did I mention there are 14 students in the one room school building! When I get back we are going to visit the other two communities that are more or less close to me. We are going to ride on horses to one, because it is an hour on foot. Yes, this is my life. 
-This afternoon I had a meeting with the local government to introduce myself. It went well. There were 10 people in attendance and everyone was very nice. I am hopeful that they have energy and are ready to work hard to improve their community.
-Today the daughters of my mom´s son (figure that one out) invited me to play a pick up soccer game. We had at least 15 people ranging from ages 5 to 25 playing soccer in the plaza for two hours. It was a blast! They are all thrilled that I am interested in playing soccer, I am going to join the local womens team when I get back to town.

I´m on my way back to training and in two weeks that we be over and I will making this journey again. 

Loves, Chelsea



No comments:

Post a Comment